2 Jan 2016

Let's Talk: Overprotectiveness




As girls, I think we have all experienced this in some shape or form, at some point in our lives, especially from our parents. We always want a bit more trust, a little more leniency, because as we grow up we want to be more independent, but sometimes our parents just wont let us do what we want when we want to. Our brain then turns this into, "they wont let me do anything", "they don't trust me", etc. when in reality, they are doing what they think is right because they have more experience than us. But we are younger than them and have less knowledge of the world, so we register this as unfair.

However, I'm not saying that our parents (or whoever else fits into this context for you) always know better and are always right. Because, they don't. We are all human. We all make mistakes. They might think they are doing the right thing in restricting your freedoms more than you want, but sometimes they are wrong, and this is another situation which we constitute as over-protectiveness.

The truth is that they may not be ready to let you grow up just yet. I especially get this a lot, because I am the oldest child in my family, and I am also a female. This means that I am like the guinea pig because my parents have never done this before, so I am more likely to be overly protected than my brothers. I get restrictions (like no social media for example), but when they are my age, my parents will probably loosen the reigns a little because they know what to expect.

Also, like I said, I am a female, so I am stereotyped as weaker. Many people think it is sexist to protect women over men because we are all equal, but I don't feel like this is completely true. Yes, we are all equal and we shouldn't be separated or anything due to our gender, but it is human instinct for men to protect children and women. It's the way they're made. Feel free to disagree with me on this (because this series is all about opinions), but most men are physically stronger than most women, it's not just people being sexist. Yes, there are many women who are much stronger than men, but for the majority of the time, it is the other way around.
But I'm not completely understanding of my parents decisions. When I asked them if I could go to the movies with my boyfriend, their instant reaction was no. And after 6 months, their answer is still the same. Now I don't know about you, but I find that a bit over-the-top. If my brothers were in my position, I'm pretty sure my parents would be fine with it, because they are supposedly more capable of looking after themselves.

So that's my opinion on over protectiveness, but let me know what your opinions are on the matter, and if I said something that you don't fully understand (it was hard to put all this in writing, so I'm not sure how well I went)
Thank you so much for taking time to read my blog, and I'll see you next time!

Lots of love, Little Robin

x

No comments:

Post a Comment