2 Apr 2015

What can YOU do?

When I was at Church last Sunday, I decided to listen to the Sermon instead of going off to teen church, and it was amazing. Every Christmas, our church raises money for lots of different groups who do mission work overseas, and every year we raise so much more than our goal (I'm not sure what the exact figures were for last year though).

Anyway, a lady from IJM (International Justice Mission), one of the missions that we sponsor, came in and talked to us about the work that they are doing overseas and how we helped. It was an amazing sermon, but it was really hard to listen to - I even started crying. She told the story of one of the girls they released from a brothel in India called Suhana. She was one of almost 2 million children who are tricked and enslaved into prostitution. You can watch her story here:

When I hear about problems like this that are happening in countries that aren't even that far away from me, I realise just how lucky we really are. I know, I know, everyone says that all the time, but actually think about it. With a single thought, God could have given you a different mother, a different father. You could have been sold into prostitution, like Suhana.

About 6 months ago, I read a book called 'Kisses From Katie', which is about a 19 year old who travels to Uganda to teach at a primary school. She can't speak any language other than English, yet she moves to Uganda, sets up a ministry there, feeds lots of homeless, starving children, and adopts 14 girls. And by this time she's still only 20! I highly recommend this book, which introduced me to overseas mission work, made me want to do mission as well, and eventually led to me getting baptised. Here is her website: https://amazima.org/about-us/katies-story

Here are some things YOU can do to help impoverished people all over the world:

- Donate: I know it sounds really simple and pointless, but you have no idea how much it helps.
There are approx. 1.03 billion people in the world  that live in developed countries (15%) - the rest of the world (the other 85%) lives in developing or undeveloped nations. If everyone in a developed country donated 1 dollar a month, that would equal about $12,360,000,000 every year. Imagine what that could do for the world!

- Have a sponsor child: I guess this falls into the donate category too, but it makes what you're doing so much more personal. I have a sponsor child called Ulziikhishig. She's 7 years old, and the most ADORABLE living thing on planet Earth! I receive occasional updates about how she is doing at home and in school. Yes, she is at school, because I sponsor her and help to provide an education for her. You could do that too, and it doesn't even cost that much!
If you are interested is getting a sponsor child, follow this link:
(of course, there are other organisations, I just thought I'd mention World Vision because I sponsor Ulziikhishig through them)

These are just two options for helping the world to become a better place, and it's easier than you may think. You are a child of God and He is calling to YOU to help His people.

So there we go! I hope you guys found this interesting and will maybe make a difference in someones's life as well. See you next time! (well, not literally, but anyway...)

Lots of love, Little Robin


No comments:

Post a Comment